While the typical hotdog and s’mores diet of most camping excursions is great and all, sometimes you want a little bit more with your fireside meal. Why not try a little Italian while you’re out in the wild? This easy-to-follow recipe for campfire pizza is a favorite among adults and kids and won’t take up much room in your pack.
What You’ll Need
- 1 flat bread per person
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1.5 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
For this pizza we prefer focaccia flatbread, but naan and pita work just as well; or you can go the traditional route and try and prepare your own pizza dough at home. The flatbread is just easier, as you can prepare it ahead of time and pack it along, wrapped in foil, and it won’t make a mess or take up much room.
With the pizza sauce, there are plenty of premade varieties available at the grocery store, but it’s so easy to make at home you don’t even have to bother. Simply mix together the tomato sauce and paste in a medium bowl until smooth, then slowly blend in the garlic, paprika and oregano and allow them to mix. Voilà!
While it’s a good idea to come to the campsite with everything pre-prepared, you’ll also need to kill time while the fire gets going, so you can always chop your vegetables while you’re waiting. We chose onions and green peppers for our toppings but, obviously, you’re free to add or remove anything you’d like!
This recipe doesn’t require a grill and can be done over a campfire, as long as you have a grate or some other way to hold your pizza above the fire without it falling into the coals.
1) Open up your aluminum foil packages of flatbread and spread the foil open with the flatbread in the middle. You’ll need enough foil so that when you wrap it back up it won’t lie flat against the top of the pizza, otherwise your cheese and sauce will stick.
2) While your flatbread is lying on the foil, spread your homemade pizza sauce overtop. One great way to transport the pizza sauce to the campsite is with a tightly sealed baggie.
3) Add on your cheeses and then your chopped onions and green peppers. Adding meat is a great option, but will take longer to cook and have to be carefully monitored so you don’t undercook and get sick.
4) Fold the foil back over the flatbread, covering it completely. If you used enough foil you should be able to make something of a pyramid shape to keep it from falling onto your pizza. Just pinch the top together to keep it in place.
5) Place it on the grill and let it cook until the cheese is melted to your satisfaction. Once it’s cooked to your liking, and the flatbread hasn’t burned, you’ll be ready to chow down!